Pages

Friday 29 June 2012

friday favorite // reading

This weeks favorite: reading




As part of my summer manifesto, I dedicated myself to reading three books this summer.

During university, I found it difficult to create time for pleasure reading.  Since then, I've picked up a few books here and there, but I'll often only get half to three quarters done before abandoning it completely.

I've determined that I left books unfinished largely because I took SO long to get through one.  I could go weeks without picking up what I was currently reading.  I hadn't focused myself on the goal of reaching the final page.  I had often told myself, I should read more and watch less TV.  So there I would sit (or lie), flipping pages filling my time with a book, but not truly diving into it.

Recently, I've powered through two books.  With my busy work schedule, powering through a book takes about a month.  I'm not the kind that can devour a book in one sitting - although I really wish I could!

I just finished reading The Lucky One last night. Some of the girls from work had gone to the movie and reported that it wasn't all that great.  So I decided to pick up the book, read it first, review it, then watch and critique the movie afterwards.

Most of the books I read are of an international/cultural experience, or travel genre.  Some of my past favorites are The Poisonwood Bible, Kite Runner, and Eat, Pray, Love.  Reading 'The Lucky One' was a bit of a different genre for me.  I have read love stories - I won't say romance, because I equate romance novels to Harlequin novels whose covers show women swooning over a strong, seductive Fabio type character - but not very many, and this seemed like an easy read to warm up my reading muscle with.

The next book on my nightstand is Secret Daughter.  A friend gave it to me for my birthday last year, and I haven't yet pulled it off the shelf.  This book falls nicely into my usual go-to 'worldly interest' genre.

I chose reading as my favorite activity this week because I am in love with books!  I love to read - cuddled up in bed with my dog, sitting out on the deck soaking up the summer sun, curled up on the couch with a cup of tea, or while taking a bubble bath.




0 comments:

Post a Comment